Saturday, March 19, 2022

We finished filming!

Yes, you read it correctly, we finally filmed!! Everything's coming together and it's a little scary, but we are glad to have such a large part of the project done and out of the way. Filming was relatively easy: we started when planned and didn't run in to many problems. The only thing that we struggled with was our timing, because our filming ended up running from 2-5 in the afternoon. In the grand scheme of things, 3 hours of filming for 2 minutes is not bad at all, but we found that our cast/crew (us included) were tired towards the end of the process. One thing we will change next time we do something similar is that we will split the filming up in to multiple days: group the scenes by the cast members involved and split it into several days instead of filming all at once. 

My lovely partner helped throughout the entire process, and even took behind-the-scenes pictures (seen below). We filmed entirely at my house--the space was kind of limited because my house is tiny, but we made work with what we had. We also had a lunch break in between which definitely motivated our actresses in performing to the best of their abilities. Everyone say thank you Jaxson for the great pictures.







I mentioned before how we decided not to worry about buying equipment for audio, but we made some last-minute changes the day-of filming. That morning, I tested out my DSLR and discovered that the quality of the audio was actually terrible, so I ran out and bought a small, inexpensive lapel mic from Best Buy. Since my camera is a DSLR, I hooked the mic up to my computer. We recorded the audio on voice memos, and only did this for scenes that we knew 100% were going to have audio, as many scenes were simply just music. As I'm re-listening and re-watching the clips, I'm very glad we decided to do this because the audio is much better and, therefore, our opening will be more enjoyable to watch (because the original audio of my DSLR was just that bad). Overall, we're really happy with how filming went, and we're excited to start the editing process and see this project come together at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birdcage Opening

Here it is! The long-awaited (hopefully) opening of Birdcage, our new coming-of-age fiction film.  Thank you to everyone who has tuned in. O...